Swans 2 Sandhurst Town 2

Tuesday 12th November 2019. Cherry Red Combined Counties League, Division One.

Walton & Hersham 2 Sandhurst Town 2.

Swans will feel disappointed they did not see the match out to gain three more points and cement their place in third spot in the table. Leading 2-1 deep into stoppage-time, some confused defending led to them conceding the corner-kick from which the ten-man visitors grabbed a second equaliser, with the unlikely scorer being their goalkeeper Andy Rider. After deservedly going ahead for the second time after 72 minutes, Swans had the opportunity to bolster their lead when Sandhurst were left facing the next ten minutes with nine players following an immediate sin-binning, but they failed to capitalise on the advantage. Despite the disappointment of dropping valuable points, there were still enough positive signs in Swans’ performance against tough opponents that they can maintain their recent run of good results. The visitors soon threatened when a cross from the right resulted in Owen Davies just being denied a header at the far-post. Swans quickly responded with Hamzah Williams crossing from the right to pick out Simeon Dennis in the centre of the box, but he was denied by a close offside decision. Alvin Sarmiento was then found on the right by Dennis’s ball from the left, and he got past his marker to drive in a low cross that forced Davies to put behind at the near-post for a corner. Williams was soon conceding a corner at the other end, Sandhurst crossing from deep on the right for the Swans’ defender to clear behind at the far-post. Luke Cox’s kick led to the ball being cleared away from the line at the far-post. With ten minutes played Swans’ Jordan Simmons got in a strong strike from 35 yards that keeper Rider was well placed on his line to take. Rider was not so fortunate just a minute later, being complicit in Swans taking the lead. Parish Muirhead got in a shot from 25 yards that was blocked, but the ball was quickly played through to Tyreke Leslie in the box, where he was brought down by the Sandhurst keeper. A penalty was awarded and Rider shown a yellow card, presumably avoiding a red under the double jeopardy rule. After some delay Dennis made no mistake from the spot. With twenty minutes played Davies was booked for simulation, something that was to prove costly for the Sandhurst player later in the match, and minutes later a yellow card was brandished by the referee to a member of the visiting management team in the technical area. On the half-hour Swans broke from a Sandhurst free-kick through Muirhead, and he played Leslie through into the right of the box, but he was just closed out. Swans soon had to concede a corner at the other end as Sandhurst broke into the box, but Cox’s kick from the left went across goal and the ball out of play. Carl Prestidge then drove a free-kick from 35 yards well wide of Swans’ goal. With five minutes left to the break Muirhead sent Sarmiento down the tight to combine with Anderson Pinto-Nogueira, and when the ball was played low across Mo Ghailan had a chance at the far-post, but he shot straight at keeper Rider. In the final minute of the half Sandhurst got in on the right to have a shot deflected for a corner on the right, and from the kick a header at the far-post was blocked behind. The second kick from the left, taken by Cox, sent the ball across goal and out of play. There was one last chance for Swans in stoppage-time when Ghailan got the ball to Leslie on the left. He picked out Sarmiento in space on the right, but he drove wide of the near-post. Just five minutes after the resumption Muirhead went down under a poor challenge from Davies, who picked up his second caution of the match and was sent-off, leaving the visitors with ten men. Unfortunately for Swans their numerical advantage was only to last three minutes as Ghailan was sent to the sin-bin. Sarmiento went close to doubling Swans’ lead when he cut into the box from the right, but his shot just cleared the crossbar. Instead it was the visitors who scored after 58 minutes to tie the match up at 1-1. Jamie Mitchell got free on the right, and when he played the ball in to Danny Horscroft he finished neatly, beating Riccardo Di Zenzo inside his near-post. Swans soon had a chance to hit back when Muirhead played Leslie into the left of the box, but Rider beat his shot away. Sandhurst went close after 66 minutes, shooting over after Swans had failed to clear in the left of the box. Ghailan immediately came back on for Swans, but was soon replaced by Seb Osei-Obengo. Leslie got down the right before laying the ball inside to Williams, whose low shot took a deflection to go just wide of the far-post. Sandhurst’s Cox was booked for a foul just outside the edge of the box on the left, conceding the free-kick that was to lead to Swans retaking the lead. Dennis delivered the ball in, and Pinto-Nogueira followed up on the right to drive a shot against the near-post. Simmons latched onto the ball, before making room for himself and striking a left-foot shot past keeper Rider. Sandhurst’s Idris Kamara was then sent to the sin-bin for protesting, leaving his side with nine men for the next ten minutes. But his side won a corner on the right with just over ten minutes remaining, and a header was put over from Cox’s kick. Then, in the final minute of normal-time, with his side back to ten players, Sandhurst’s Luke Burrows clipped the ball in from the right for a header to be put over at the far-post. With the match entering stoppage-time Tyreke Hollingsworth, who had just come on for Muirhead, had a chance to clinch it for Swans. The U18s’ player did well to set himself up and get clear into the left of the box, but he sent his shot over. But, with almost five minutes of added-on time played, Sandhurst got down the left and the ball took a deflection to go behind for a corner. When the kick came in there were several attempts to head the ball clear, but it finally fell kindly to Rider, who had come up for the corner, and the Sandhurst keeper drove it past his opposite number Di Zenzo.

Swans’ Team: Riccardo Di Zenzo, Alvin Sarmiento (Munashe Mwatsiya 66’), Miguel Lopes de Matos, Sam Marfo, Jordan Simmons, Hamzah Williams, Tyreke Leslie, Parish Muirhead (Tyreke Hollingsworth 88’), Mo Ghailan (Seb Osei-Obengo 66’), Anderson Pinto-Nogueira, Simeon Dennis. Subs. not used: Michael Winnister, Thomas Lim. Scorers: Dennis, penalty (13’), Simmons (72’). Caution: Marfo (85’). Sin-bin: Ghailan (53’).

Sandhurst Team: Rider, Prestidge, Barley, Cox, I. Kamara, Burrows, Mitchell, T. Cooper, Pilgrim, Brown, Davies. Subs. used: Horscroft (29’), Samuel-Harman (85’), Hinds (85’). Sub. not used: Watson. Scorers: Horscroft (58’), Rider (90+4’). Cautions: Rider, foul (12’), Cox, foul (70’), Sin-bin: Kamara (73’). Dismissal: Davies, 2 cautions. Simulation (20’), foul (50’).