Swans 2 Chertsey Town 2 (3-5 on pens.)

Tuesday 20th November 2018.                                      Surrey Senior Cup, 1st Round.

Walton & Hersham 2   Chertsey Town 2.                      Chertsey won 5-3 on penalties.

Swans again proved a thorn in the side of the league leaders, as a month after inflicting on them their first league defeat they came back from 2-0 down to take the tie into a penalty shoot-out. The spot-kick decider could well have proved unnecessary as, after a poor start, Swans had the chances to go through in normal-time. But, with Chertsey scoring all their five penalties after Swans had their first saved, it was they who were somewhat fortunate to progress.

With temporary coach Dickson Gill having left the club the previous day, Swans again had to regroup, with U23s’ manager Danny James taking charge of the team, and there were several changes to the starting line-up. Sean White was unfit, having picked up a late injury the previous Saturday, while Monty Everett was a late replacement for Marlon Wallen, and a debut was given in central defence to Callum Robinson, who had played just one match for the U23s.

On a cold, rainy evening things looked ominous for Swans as they got off to a poor start, quickly going two down. Arlie Talboys’ long ball was not cut out by Luke Randall on the edge of the box, and Lubomir Guentchev was free to lift the ball over goalkeeper Kavanagh Keadell and into the net.

Pat Kirby’s pass down the right got Frank Ngonyama away for Swans, but his low ball went unchallenged across the box.

The visitors soon made it 2-0 when John Pomroy found space in the right of the box to drive low into the far corner.

With a quarter of an hour played Swans went close to halving the deficit when Ali Fofanah did well on the left, weaving his way into the box and driving a low shot against the near-post. Kirby struck a free-kick from just outside the box wide of the left post as Swans continued to hit back, and a quickly taken free-kick got Everett in on the left, but Chertsey keeper Lewis Gallifant did well to block his low shot to the near-post.

At the other end Keadell got behind a far-post header after Chertsey had broken down the left to send the ball over. With half-time approaching the visitors got in a shot from the edge of the box that took a deflection to go behind for a corner.

Just over ten minutes into the second-half Swans got themselves back into the tie. Gallifant had just pulled off a fine save, turning Kirby’s well-struck free-kick from the left corner of the box round his near-post. Robinson then picked out Fofanah on the edge of the box, and he despatched a fine shot into the bottom, right corner to give the keeper no chance.

Swans continued to go for the equaliser, and Ngonyama sent a terrific shot dipping just over from outside the box. With just over a quarter of an hour remaining Everett had a great chance close in on the right, but he planted his shot wide. Another fine chance fell to Ngonyama with ten minutes left when Fofanah played him in on the left, but he failed to beat Gallifant at the near-post.

Swans finally got the equaliser they deserved with just over five minutes remaining. Gallifant had just pulled off another fine save, diving to his left to turn Kirby’s 25 yard free-kick round the post. But The Curfews’ keeper had no chance when Kirby’s shot from outside the box took a deflection before finding the bottom, left corner.

Danny Bendell was off-target with a far-post header when Chertsey took a corner from the left, but it was Swans who had the chance to settle the tie in the final minute of normal-time. Fofanah sent Everett racing clear, but Gallifant again kept his side in the tie by coming out to block.

There was still time for a half-chance for the visitors, but Pomroy’s ambitious volley from the right of the box following a left-side cross flew well over.

Guentchev converted Chertsey’s opening spot-kick, but Swans’ first from Billy Kinona was saved by Gallifant. Andy Crossley, Pomroy and Dave Taylor made no mistake for Chertsey, and with Kirby, Frankie Driver and Everett all successfully scoring with their kicks for Swans, it was left to Mason Welch-Turner to put the visitors through to the next round.

Swans’ Team: Kavanagh Keadell, Luke Randall (Shen Malabre 75’), Billy Kinona, Frankie Driver, Callum Robinson, Conor Symon, Ali Fofanah, Chester Clothier (Sid Dack 45’), Monty Everett, Pat Kirby, Frank Ngonyama. Scorers: Fofanah (56’), Kirby (84’).

Chertsey Team: Gallifant, Talboys (Crossley 70’), Welch-Turner, Becka (Taylor 79’), Kinsella, Bennell, Davies, Jackson, Pomroy, Ernesto, Guentchev. Subs. not used: Naya, Marshall, Jupp. Scorers: Guentchev (8’), Pomroy (12’).

 Chertsey penalty-kicks: Guentchev, scored (1-0), Crossley, scored (2-0), Pomroy, scored (3-1), Taylor, scored (4-2), Welch-Turner, scored (5-3).

Swans’ penalty-kicks: Kinona, saved (1-0), Kirby, scored (2-1), Driver, scored (3-2), Everett, scored (4-3).