AFC Hayes 2 Swans 0

Saturday 17th November 2018.  Cherry Red Combined Counties League, Premier Division.

AFC Hayes 2   Walton & Hersham 0.

A dreadfully disappointing performance by Swans saw them go down to the Division’s bottom club, a defeat that leaves them just above their opponents in the table. Conceding a second goal just before half-time always looked like making it a bridge too far for a side struggling to create openings. They were denied a clear penalty in the second-half that could have got them back in the game, and when they did get a spot-kick in stoppage-time they failed to convert it.

Ajani Domingo-Carrington was unavailable, but both Jack Higgins and Pat Kirby were able to return from injury, while Monty Everett was given a start.

On a sticky pitch Swans made an unsure start, and the home side immediately won a free-kick outside the right corner of the box. From Victor Montes’s kick Mourad Jarraz put a header wide at the far-post. Goalkeeper Kavanagh Keadell then rashly rushed out of his area and failed to get to the ball, which was finally scrambled away. Keadell then had to go down to push away a low shot from outside the box, and a follow-up that found the net was fortunately ruled offside.

Swans mounted their first attack and won a corner on the left, but Billy Kinona’s kick was headed clear. Another corner-kick resulted when Kirby’s free-kick from the right glanced off a defender’s head and went behind. Sean White then just failed to get a foot to Kinona’s good cross from the left, and the ball went behind for another corner. Swans had settled after their shaky start, and with a quarter of an hour played Chester Clothier found White on the right, and his first-time drive was taken at his near-post by home keeper Josh Bramwell.

Former Swan Jarraz sent a first-time half-volley wide of the far-post from the left of the box for AFC Hayes, while at the other end Kirby drove a fine volley wide when the ball fell to him 25 yards out.

Swans went behind just before the half hour when Jarraz was played in on the left, and although Keadell got a touch to his low shot the ball crept into the far-corner.

In the final minute of the half pressure from Everett forced a corner after Marlon Wallen had got down the right, but the home side immediately broke and Lusungu Ndovi scored with a low shot from the edge of the box to make it 2-0.

There was still time for Everett to get to the byline on the left, but his low cross was cut out by keeper Bramwell.

Soon afte4 the resumption Nathan Dennis drove a shot over from 22 yards for the home side, but four minutes into the second-half Swans should have been given the opportunity to reduce the deficit. Everett made a run into the box on the left and was pulled back by a defender, but instead of a penalty the referee gave a free-kick on the edge of the area. White laid the ball off to Kirby, and there were shouts for handball as his shot was blocked and went behind for a corner. From Kinona’s kick on the right Higgins glanced a header wide.

Just past the hour Keadell made a terrific save from a close-in shot after Ndovi had got down the left to cross in low. The Swans’ keeper then made a fine block after Ndovi got in on the left.

Everett got to the byline on the left for Swans to drive in a shot that Bramwell had to turn round his near-post. Kirby then hooked the ball over from the right and White went down under a challenge in the box, but claims for a penalty were turned down.

The home side sent a low shot wide of the far-post from the left corner of the box, while at the other end Swans continued to struggle to create openings.

It was not until a minute into stoppage-time that they had the chance to get on the scoresheet. White charged down a clearance and burst forward into the box, where he was chopped down by Michael O’Neil, and this time the referee could not deny Swans the spot-kick. With regular penalty taker White injured, after some delay Wallen was given the responsibility, but Swans’ bad day at the office was capped off when his kick was well-saved by Bramwell.

Swans’ Team: Kavanagh Keadell, Billy Kinona, Jack Higgins (Frankie Driver 88’), Pat Kirby, Conor Symon, Luke Randall, Shamal Edwards (Frank Ngonyama 75’), Chester Clothier (Ali Fofanah 65’), Marlon Wallen, Sean White, Monty Everett. Sub. not used: James Robertson. Cautions: Higgins (54’), Wallen (69’).

AFC Hayes Team: Bramwell, Kettle, Bishop, O’Neil, Masembe, Howes, Montes, Roper, N. Dennis (Olaleye 78’), Jarraz (Mohammed 83’), Ndovi. Subs. not used: R. Dennis, Hassan, Cole. Scorer: Jarraz (29’), Ndovi (45’). Cautions: Roper, O’Neil. .