Camberley Town 2 Swans 0

Saturday 6th October 2018.      Cherry Red Combined Counties League, Premier Division.

Camberley Town 2   Walton & Hersham 0.

Under the guidance of coach Dickson Gill, following the departure of manager Gary Taylor, a Swans’ side with six new signings in the squad failed to put an end to their lengthy winless run. There were however signs of improvement, and they were still in with a chance of at least a draw until a last minute goal settled it for the home side.

In persistent rain, that was to continue throughout the match, Camberley made a strong start, forcing two corners, but both taken from the left by Steve Duff were successfully cleared.

Swans went close when Jack Higgins lobbed just wide of the far-post from outside the left corner of the box.

Swans’ goalkeeper Kavanagh Keadell just cleared away from Marcus Cousins when Duff took another corner from the left, and Duff then got forward to send a low shot wide of the right post from the edge of the box.

Elijah Simpson made a break on the right for Swans, but his low driven cross just failed to find a teammate at the far-post.

Keadell had to beat down a 25 yard free-kick taken by Duff, whose left-side corner then led to Jamie Hoppitt driving a shot over the goal. Swans continued to be put under pressure, and Adam Everiss got past Frank Ngonyama on the right to drive wide of the far-post. Duff then beat Ajani Domingo-Carrington on the other flank to set up a chance for Hoppitt, but he shot wide.

Swans had a good chance when Ngonyama drove low into the box from the right, but Simpson shot wide.

Camberley took the lead just past the half hour when their skipper Duff, who had been their most influential player, was allowed to burst into the right of the box, and when he laid the ball back to Cousins, he drove past Keadell from six yards.

The Swans’ keeper had to go down on his line to save a low shot from the edge of the box by Duff following a build-up on the right.

Swans had threatened only spasmodically, but their former keeper Craig Bradshaw was quickly out to just deny Marlon Wallen after a good ball had been sent into the right of the box from the left. In the final minute of the half Bradshaw had to go down to take the ball at his near-post when it was driven in low from the right. Then, in stoppage-time, a header was sent just inches over at the far-post when Craig Lewington took a corner from the right.

Swans soon had another chance after the resumption when Sean White, who has re-joined from Epsom & Ewell, played a good ball in from the right, but Billy Kinona shot wide of the near-post.

The home side threatened again when Duff got away on the left, and his low driven cross had        to be cleared behind at the near-post. From the corner a header was put wide at the far-post.

Wallen was played into the right of the box for Swans by another good ball from White, but     his cross was deflected away.

Keadell had to make a fine block from a shot after Camberley had got the ball in from the left.

Pat Kirby, who has joined Swans on dual-registration from Westfield, had replaced Kinona, and he did well on the left, but his cross went over the goal.

Duff drove well over for Camberley after the ball had been played in low from the right, and the same player picked out Cousins at the far-post with a ball from the left, but he planted his header wide.

Swans were still not out of the game, and the ball was cleared when Simpson drove a dangerous ball in low from the right. With ten minutes of normal-time remaining Domingo-Carrington made a good run on the left to get the ball over for Ngonyama to make space in the right of the box, but he drove a shot just over.

At the other end Keadell had to make a fine save from a close-in header following a right-side corner, the Swans’ keeper then beating down a shot when another corner was taken from the right.

Swans’ challenge had begun to fade in the latter stages, and in the final minute of normal-time Camberley made the game safe. Keadell made a fine block from a shot from the right of the box, but Conor Moody followed up at the far-post to shoot home.

Swans forced two corners in stoppage-time, but it was a free-kick from the left that almost gave them a bizarre goal. From Lewington’s kick Camberley’s Duff got in a strong header from five yards towards his own goal, but Bradshaw was just able to keep the ball out.

Swans’ Team: Kavanagh Keadell, Frank Ngonyama, Ajani Domingo-Carrington, Craig Lewington, Jack Higgins, Dan Choules, Marlon Wallen (Bailey Tanner 78’), Sean White, Elijah Simpson, Ross Chalke (Dariush Heravi 63’), Billy Kinona (Pat Kirby 56’). Sub. not used: Conor Symon. Cautions: Higgins (23’), Lewington (23’), Domingo-Carrington (84’).

Camberley Team: Bradshaw, Dean (Upton), Kelsey, Brown, Garstang, Jewell, Duff, Cousins, Smith (Greenwood), Hoppitt, Everiss (Moody). Subs. not used: Stepney, Hill. Scorers: Cousins (31’), Moody (90’). Cautions: Garstang (45’), Kelsey (68’).