Swans set up local derby in League Cup

Wednesday 9 October 2013                                           Robert Dyas League Cup, 1st Round.  


Leatherhead 0    Walton & Hersham 2.

Swans set up a local derby at Walton Casuals in the 2nd Round on Tuesday the 29th of October with a good performance at Fetcham Grove, bouncing back well from their disappointing performance in the FA Trophy. Both Milan Stojsavljevic, in goal, and Ben Dyett were free to return to the side, while Ashley Thompson came in at right-back, with Chris Grayland, Will Turl and André Scarlett all dropping to the bench.

As in the league match on the ground a fortnight previously Swans got off to great start, taking the lead after four minutes. Samad Kazi made a good run into the box on the right before laying the ball off to Juan Onieva, who struck a fine shot that home keeper Slavomir Huk got a touch on but found too strong to keep out.

The Tanners’ had an opportunity when they were awarded a free-kick on the edge of the box, but Mohamed Eisa’s well-struck effort flew just wide of the right-post. Then after a quarter of an hour Elie Kayembe got in a shot from the left that Stojsavljevic went down on his line to save.

Swans built up a good attack when Ben Hammond sent Warren Gladdy on a run down the left, and when he laid the ball inside Onieva had a shot blocked.

Stojsavljevic did well to take a strong shot to his near-post when Eisa got down the right for the home side.

With half an hour played Swans were awarded a free-kick just outside the left corner of the box, and Huk did well to tip Hammond’s well-struck, low shot around his far-post. The home keeper then got well behind a shot from the left by Mark McLeod. Hammond set up a chance for Julian Owusu when he played the ball in from the left, but the Swans’ striker volleyed over.

With four minutes of normal-time remaining of the first-half Swans doubled their lead. A through ball sent Gladdy on a clever run forward, and he beat Huk with a fine, low shot from the edge of the box that found the bottom, left-corner.

Kazi had a chance to make it 3-0 before the break when Hammond got him in on the right, but he shot wide of the near-post.

Kazi went closer four minutes after the resumption when Owusu played the ball to him on the right, but his powerful shot rattled the crossbar.

Leatherhead made three early substitutions in the second-half, but Swans continued to be on top, and midway through the half Owusu headed a chance over at the far-post from Andy Lomas’s left-side corner. The home side began to come more into the game without seriously threatening Swans’ goal, and it was the visitors who went close again with five minutes remaining. Scarlett did well on the right before setting up a chance for Kazi, whose low shot was pushed round by keeper Huk.

Swans’ Team: Milan Stojsavljevic, Ashley Thompson, Andy Lomas, Mark McLeod, Ben Dyett, Steve Betancourt, Ben Hammond, Warren Gladdy (André Scarlett 74’), Julian Owusu (Will Turl 82’), Juan Onieva, Samad Kazi. Sub. not used: Chris Grayland. Scorers: Onieva (4’), Gladdy (41’).                   

Leatherhead Team: Huk, Allen, Downs, Smart, Pleau (Richmond 51’), Nnamani, Burchell (Kwame 56’), Diakite, Griffiths, Kayembe (Smith 56’), Eisa. Subs. not used: O’Neil, Worsfold. Cautions: Diakite, foul (22’), Downs, foul (34’), Smart, foul (80’).       

  1. Southall 4 Swans 3 Read
  2. Knaphill 2 Swans 1 Read
  3. Balham 2 Swans 1 Read
  4. Swans 3 Hanworth Villa 3 Read
  5. Hayes & Yeading United 2 Swans 4 Read
  6. Friendly on Tuesday Read
  7. Raynes Park Vale 3 Swans 1 Read
  8. Swans 0 Sutton Common Rovers 5 Read
  9. Swans 2 Camberley Town 3 Read
  10. Swans 4 Abbey Rangers 4 Read