Young Swans win Lucas Fetes League Cup

Staines Town 1-2 Walton and Hersham

Swans U-18 Youth team won the Isthmian League Youth Cup, sponsored by Lucas Fettes, today, beating favourites Staines Town on their own ground in a keenly contested final 2-1 in front of a crowd of 261.

Despite going 1-0 down after just 4 minutes and losing top scorer George Griffiths after 18 minutes, the young Swans deservedly went on to take the cup for the first time.

Anthony Lapersonne equalised with a great far-post header from Steven Betancourt’s free kick a minute before half-time, and there was just a minute left of the ninety when Ross Nunn struck the winning goal

Lucas Fettes Youth Cup Final Match Report

Monday 2 May 2011. Lucas Fettes Youth Cup Final.

Staines Town Youth 1 Walton & Hersham Youth 2.

Swans U-18s deservedly won the Isthmian League Youth Cup on Bank Holiday Monday, beating clear favourites Staines Town on their own ground in a keenly contested final. Despite going behind to an early goal and losing prolific top scorer George Griffiths after just 18 minutes, the young Swans deservedly went on to take the cup for the first time. The home side had won their section of the Ryman Youth League convincingly with an unbeaten record, so it looked ominous for the Swans’ youngsters when, after just four minutes, a Staines’ corner from the left was only cleared to Sam Bates, and he drove the ball home from just inside the left of the box. Swans soon forced a corner of their own, and Dean Powell looped a header over from Ross Nunn’s left-side kick. Kelvin Karanja made a clever run into the right of the box after linking up well with Anthony Lapersonne, but his cross passed just wide of the far-post, and Swans soon forced two successive corners as they continued to hit back well, Griffiths volleying wide at the near-post from Nunn’s second kick from the right.

A Staines’ defender had to head over his own bar when Steven Betancourt sent in a dangerous free-kick, and when Chas Goodchild crossed from the right Griffiths got in a volley that unfortunately was straight at home goalkeeper Kyle Merson. Griffiths was clearly struggling, having aggravated a recent knee injury, and he was soon replaced by Jaymo Ellis. Swans were somewhat fortunate when a clearance was charged down and Staines’ Bradley Murray drove over from outside the box. The home side was having a good spell, and after Aaron Weston had tested Swans’ keeper Harry Church with a free-kick from 35 yards, he got the better of Betancourt on the left to get in a low cross that resulted in a scrambled clearance by Swans’ defence. With ten minutes left to the break Swans went desperately close to equalising as a high ball into the home box fell to Ellis, who looked certain to score, but keeper Merson somehow managed to block his point-blank shot.

But with just a minute left of the first-half Betancourt sent over a free-kick from the right to pick out Lapersonne beyond the far-post, and he sent a terrific header into the far corner to make it 1-1. In first-half stoppage-time Betancourt drove a free-kick from wide on the left just past the far-post. Soon after the resumption Staines’ Liam Devine was allowed to get forward far too easily to get in a low shot that was fortunately straight at keeper Church. Swans had a good opportunity when they were awarded a free-kick just outside the home box, but Goodchild could only drive the ball into the defensive wall. Staines had two excellent opportunities to restore their lead in the space of five minutes midway through the half. Aaron Spencer headed wide following a free-kick from the left, and the league’s top scorer, the highly rated striker Mario Quiassaca, got clear to the edge of the box, but he put his effort just over.

Swans began to come back into the game, and with a quarter of an hour left Karanja played Lapersonne into the right of the box to put a fine shot just inches over the bar. Goodchild had an even better chance with five minutes remaining as he was played in on the right by Ellis, but his powerful shot was blocked away for a corner by keeper Merson. Just as it was looking like extra-time as the match entered the final minute of normal time, Ellis got into the box to have a shot blocked, and with the home defence in disarray, Nunn got possession before making space for himself and driving the ball into the net to make it 2-1 to the young Swans. There was one last scare, as following a long throw-in by Staines there was a scramble in the box, but the ball ended up going just wide and the young Swans were soon able to celebrate their splendid win.

Swans Youth: Harry Church, Kieran Brown, Josh Murphy-Steel, Steven Betancourt, Dean Powell, Elliott Hayden, Kelvin Karanja, Chas Goodchild, Anthony Lapersonne (Robert Lapersonne 86’), George Griffiths (Jaymo Ellis 18’), Ross Nunn. Subs. not used: Kwame Rennalls, Grant Kelly, Andrew Hasker, Jack Inkpen, Scorers: A. Lapersonne (44’), Nunn (89’). Cautions: Murphy-Steel, foul (40’), Karanja, foul (61’).

Staines Town Youth: Merson, Bates (Raymond 90+2), Ewing, Kemar-Smith, Spencer, Murray, Masroh-McDowell (Quan 81’), Obonyo, Weston (Afflick 59’), Quiassaca, Devine. Subs. not used: Moore, Donnelly. Scorer: Bates (4’). Cautions: Weston, foul (26’), Bates, foul (75’).

Congratulations to Paul-Martyn Jones, Steve Blakebrough, their staff and all the boys on their terrific achievement.

  1. Colliers Wood United 1 Swans 2 Read
  2. Swans 3 Horley Town 0 Read
  3. Swans 2 Spelthorne Sports 0 Read
  4. Abbey Rangers Rearrangement Read
  5. Abbey Rangers Match OFF Read
  6. Westfield 4 Swans 0 Read
  7. Swans 1 Knaphill 2 Read
  8. AFC Hayes Rearrangement Read
  9. U18s Match OFF Tonight Read
  10. Swans 2 CB Hounslow United 4 Read